Monday, November 7, 2022

Wrightsville Beach

Before sunrise

We get up at 6:00am and the wind does not seem too bad. I call the Figure 8 Bridge operator to check on the wind there. He says its fine for now, but if the wind increases they may not open, no guarantees. We are aiming for the 9:00am opening and plan to leave the marina around 7:00am to cover the 10 miles or so. We start off with a lot of current against us so I have to increase the engine RPM to compensate and put out the head sail. When we reach the Bridge, we furl the head sail and try to keep the north wind on our stern from pushing us into the bridge. Even with the engine in neutral the wind behind us is pushing us along at 2 knots. I have to keep putting the engine in reverse to slow us down waiting for the 9:00am opening. 

ICW Giraffe just before the Figure 8 bridge

 

 

Figure 8 bridge

Once through the bridge I put out the head sail and shut down the engine, we only have 5 miles to go to the next bridge at Wrightsville Beach and the next opening is at 10:00am.

 


As we approach the Wrightsville Beach Bridge I furl the sail and start up the engine. We are still moving too fast for the 10:00 am opening. I put the engine in reverse, Clunk! We turn around to see if we hit something, like a log, but there is nothing there. I increase the engine RPM’s, but we are not slowing down. My first thought is the transmission failed. Now the brisk wind is starting to push us sideways and we are loosing steering control with a rapidly approaching closed bridge. I roll out about ¼ of the head sail so we can have steering control and I straighten out the boat and look ahead to an area before a row of docks. I steer the boat over, off the main channel, Linda takes the wheel and I run up and deploy the anchor. It quickly grabs the bottom and we spin around into the wind. Linda calls Tow Boat US, our towing insurance and within 45 minutes a large inflatable tow boat arrives. The operator does a side tie to pull us along. While waiting we call most of the local marina’s and they are all full with boats hiding out from the high winds. So we decide to be towed to the Wrightsville Anchorage since we have run out of options. We get the boat anchored and set. We determine the prop must have fallen off since the drive shaft is turning just fine with no vibrations. I have had the AutoProp for 4 years and it took us to the Bahamas and back 4 years ago. It does not mount like a regular fixed prop. I assume that the locking set screw had not been tightened when installed in the spring.

 


Tow Boat US to the rescue

Fortunately, I have our old 3 bladed fixed prop that I had repitched to match the gear ratio of the new transmission I install 4 years ago. I have carried it as back up to our fancy AutoProp. I spend much of the afternoon calling various marinas and boat yards looking for a 1/4 inch square shaft key which I do not have a spare and a diver. I finally locate a well recommended diver, who has his own boat and we plan to talk again tomorrow morning, hoping to get a lull in the wind. We are a little nervous having to wholly rely on our anchor with no propulsion, if we drag in this wind. We have a rather bouncy night swinging back and forth with the wind howling through the rigging.

Our location at Wrightsville Beach with the anchor watch circle




No comments:

Post a Comment