Friday, October 9, 2015

Worton Creek Marina

We leave early and head down the C&D canal to the Chesapeake.

C&D Canal
We pass a constant stream of tug
boats pulling or pushing barges. Even pass a north bound tug boat that passed us going south the other night off the New Jersey coast. We only saw it's lights then, but our AIS radio, gave us the boats name, speed, direction, etc. Once we reach the upper Chesapeake we have the wind on our nose for the rest of the day. I decide to head into a very protected, Worton Creek to Worton Creek Marina to fuel up, pump out, take on water, change engine oil and transmission fluid and stay overnight. Before we can fully pull into our spot on the end of the dock I have to fish out a couple large tree branches, the benefits of living on a creek.


Hiding out from Thunderstorm
 There is a forecast for possible thunderstorms in the late afternoon so I thought this would be a good place to hide out. About two hours later after my chores are done some very dark clouds start to roll in. I make a quick walk to deposit my waste oil in the marina's collection tank. I almost make it back to the boat when it lets loose. I escape to a covered boat dock and stay fairly dry. It's over in 20 minutes. Washing the salt off the boat, check, another chore done.





Linda and I decide to try the on-site restaurant. It had some positive and negative reviews. It started raining again just before we got there and there were only two other tables seated before us. Interesting menu. We decide to split the coconut shrimp. Linda orders a cup of shrimp chowder and I order a cup of crab vegetable soup. The waitress, brings me a beer, but not the one I asked for. And a minute later brings me the one I ordered. After 15 minutes our soup appears. Linda's is luke warm and I chuckle at mine. It is vegetable soup with a crab leg sticking out of it, kind of like a swizzle stick in a cocktail. A few minutes later she informs us they had a burglary the night before and the chef would not be able to make the coconut shrimp. Wasn't clear whether the coconut or the Fryolator was stolen, never did get much of a coherent explanation. The waitress, says the cook could do something with beer, we assumed beer batter. What we get is steamed shrimp with cocktail sauce in little plastic cups. I don't know how old the cocktail sauce was, but it was the consistency of jello. We just sit there laughing. When we finish our 27 dollar shrimp cocktail, Linda asked about the french fries. A few minutes later the waitress brings out some pathetic looking baked potato sticks. We decide we better pass on desert.

1 comment: