Tuesday, October 6, 2015

The overnight to Cape May

We wake up to a sunny morning with very calm waters. Haven't experienced that for about10 days. We head to town for a trip to the grocery store and breakfast. Pack up the boat and leave around noontime for Cape May overnight. Plan to arrive at Cape May around 9:00 AM. Forecast is for almost no wind, but swells, with declining heights through the night. As we round Sandy Hook we are heading southeast directly into the swells. Some are up to 9-10 feet, but are spaced far enough apart to not be a problem. Later in the afternoon as we turn south, we get a fair amount of rock and roll since there is not enough wind to steady the boat. Fortunately, not enough roll to keep Linda from taking a snooze in the cockpit or sliding onto the cockpit floor.

Reminds me of sailing with our friends John and Genie a few years ago on their Island Packet in the Grenadines. There we had some memorable swells that were very close together or a short wave period, as they say. I got airborne at the peak of one wave and landed on my butt on the cockpit floor. My seat on the boat was moving forward and it was not there when I came back down.

The swells should lessen as we motor through the night. Well, my shift behind the wheel is coming up and I have to go spell my wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment