Wednesday, February 24, 2016

New Outboard

After breakfast we go pay for the new outboard, in cash. We get a discount for cash and avoid an additional 4% charge for using a credit card. Feels rather strange paying for the outboard in cash. I couldn't imagine doing that in the US.

By early afternoon the temperatures are in the mid-80's and the boat is getting rather warm and for the first time I turn on the AC.  By late afternoon the temperature reaches 88.

After lunch our new outboard gets delivered at the marina. Later after getting gas and reading the instructions on breaking in a new engine I try to start it. I could not get it to start. Gary's started on the second pull yesterday. I call the dealer and he quickly comes over and it does not start for him either. Then he turns around and notices I have the vent on the gas tank closed, so the new carburetor which is dry at this point could not pull any gas through the line. Opening the valve the engine starts right up.

Later when I am doing the initial ten minute idle, Gary and family stop by in their dinghy with their new 15 hp Yamaha. Then Linda and I motor over to the Atlantis dinghy dock so I can run to the Scotia Bank ATM to replenish our cash.


At 6:00PM we gather for drinks on our neighbors boat “Frosty” Heidi and Dave, with two other couples who came in this afternoon. Heidi and Dave came back from the Exhumas, because they needed to replace their batteries, but will probably head back south since it is too early to head back to the states. Later we all head over to East Villa (Chinese) for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment