Thursday, September 29, 2022

Shattemuc Yacht CLub

 

We decide to stay one more day since it will be some time next week before we have an opportunity to get a good weather window to comfortably sail off the coast of New Jersey. After breakfast we walk over to the Westerly Marina next door that has a little more protection from waves and wakes off the Hudson due to a protective bulkhead. We find that they have very nice new bathrooms, with washer and dryer. We talk with the Marina manager, Dennis and he says come back and do laundry if we would like too. Linda takes the morning shift and Diane takes the afternoon shift.

 

Lots of security, police having a meeting.


 

I spend my morning checking that I have properly wired and terminated the Raymarine data bus that now connects all our instruments. Our autopilot has developed a habit of randomly disconnecting and doing a “Unexpected Software Reset”. It does beep, but if we don’t hear it right away or aren’t standing directly behind the wheel we find the boat going into a very sharp left turn. Everything looks OK. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I call the Raymarine tech line about our autopilot and another issue I have previously complained about. Our North American Lighthouse charts are missing the Champlain Canal and the Erie Canal. I thought I would wait until we transited the canal to complain further. Our primary navigation is with Aqua Maps on our iPads. I have to insist on getting bummed up to a manager when the first tech is dumber that me and is talking baloney. I get Timothy Germano, who mentions that he thought he had heard a similar complaint. He and his buddies check it out on their systems and “low and behold” there electronic charts, Lighthouse Charts, from Raymarine are missing the Erie and Champlain canal, oops. Nice to get an acknowledgment instead of the usual “never heard that problem before”, “did you try to reboot”. He also gives me some worthwhile suggestions on solving my autopilot problem and his email address.

 

In the afternoon, I pack up the new mast and deck light to return to Defender Marine. It is about a mile walk up hill to the town of Ossining to the Post Office. From there I walk another mile to a fabulous ethic market. Both sides of the river here have significant Hispanic populations. I would of bought more, but being on foot, put a limit on my purchases. I scored one of my favorites, Plantain chips, which I usually can only find in the Miami area. These are from Costa Rica, much better than stateside Goya stuff.

 


Nice fish market in the basement

When I get back we go to dinner at the “Boat House” next to the marina, with Alain and Diane for my Birthday dinner.

 

Diane & Alain


Sunset on the Hudson

No comments:

Post a Comment