Friday, March 10, 2023

Cat, Hawks Nest Marina


At 6:15am we pull up the anchor. We want to arrive at Hawks Net Marina which is off a mangrove creek at slack tide so we do not have to fight a lot of current. We need to arrive around noontime. Leaving Calabash we can pass through a couple narrow openings between some shallow reefs. As we head out our chart plotter freezes and does not display the track I loaded between the reefs. So I turn to our mounted iPad, running our AquaMap chart plotting software. I am running Aquamap on my old iPad. Well that screen also freezes. SOB !  I yell to Linda to hand me my new iPad running Aquamap. It is working fine. I had to go to my 3rd backup. My fault for not making sure everything was running correctly before I took off.

 

Sunrise
Waves breaking on adjacent reef

 

Seas are fairly rough since its open ocean between Long Island and Cat. We always have a rough sail between these Islands. Swells are running over 6 feet, but are 10 seconds apart so we are not getting a lot of water splashing over the bow. We motor-sail to ensure our noontime arrival. We get into our slips without any problems, once in the marina basin there is no current and not much wind. 

 

Approach entrance to Hawks Nest Marina

 

They mainly cater to Sport Fishermen

After we have lunch on the boat we all walk over to the Hawks Net resort, ¼ of a mile away, crossing their runway. We checkout their dinner menu but decide to have dinner on our boats tonight instead and walk over for breakfast in the morning.

 

Hawks Nest Resort

I make Mango Daiquiris and we play dominoes under the covered pavilion close to our boat.

 





 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment